While May brings warmer weather, outdoor activities, and the whispers of summer, this month is also dedicated to the men, women, and families of the Military. Join Valorous TV as we celebrate Military Appreciation Month, a special time dedicated to celebrating all-things military.
What is Military Appreciation Month?
Each year, the president makes a proclamation reminding Americans of the important role the U.S. Armed Forces have played in the history and development of our country. May was originally chosen because it has many individual days to honor our military’s achievements, including Loyalty Day, established in 1921, Victory in Europe (VE) Day, which commemorates the end of WWII in Europe in 1945, Children of Fallen Patriots Day, and the anniversary of the death of Osama bin Laden, among others. Later this month we also celebrate Memorial Day.
Ways to Celebrate Military Appreciation Month
Throughout the month, many cities and communities hold special events in honor of local military men and women. While this is a great way to celebrate, there are many other ways to show your appreciation.
Here are our recommendations for honoring our military all month long:
- – Say thank you: Whether in-person or in a letter, saying thank you is a great way to share your appreciation with those who truly deserve it.
- – Assist loved ones: The life of a military family is never an easy one. Share your appreciation for their service by cooking a meal for a family in need.
- – Send a care package: Our current military men and women are overseas protecting our great country. Sending a care package through an organization like Operation Gratitude is a creative and thoughtful way of showing your appreciation to those currently serving.
- – Donate or volunteer at your local VA hospital: Veterans need our support now more than ever. By volunteering your time and talent at your local VA is not only good for the veterans, but good for the community as a whole.
- – Donate to a military-based cause: Causes like AMVETS National Service Foundation and Operation Support Our Troops – America are a great place to start!
- – Become a member of Valorous TV: A portion of your subscription payment goes to charity and other causes that impact our military and others in the community.